I’m walking around the desert of Tatooine
as a jedi equipped with a blue light saber and a master control of the force. A
jawa steals some jewels from me. Cue the dramatic music and an intense chase
scene through the sand. I use all my abilities, anything in my arsenal, to
corner this pocket sized humanoid in a hood. Finally. A dead end. My light
saber ignites and all of a sudden I’m faced with a choice: do I kill him or do
I let the little guy go.
I sit there with my thoughts for a moment,
weighing up each option on my moral scale. Several strokes of my chin and
scratches of my head later I eventually click on the option to let him go. I
lost some cash, but I gain this overwhelming feeling that I’ve done the right
thing.
Crazy right? A bunch of pixels on a screen
could actually spark me to question my values and assess my own moral fiber.
Nothing would’ve happened to me if I killed him, likewise nothing happened when
I let him go. So the question is…
The moral code game model is an increasing
component of video games today, allowing players direct control of how a story
plays out and what type of journey they take their character on. Continuing
prominence of such a feature only attests to the value that these games are and
how much players are enjoying them. It seems like people like their morality
poked and prodded and their heartstrings tugged and pulled.
Playing games that involve moral choice as
a main component engages players causing them to learn about their personal
values and moral standards.
Dan Staines and Malcolm Ryan outline the
moral code game model. A moral choice works in four stages.
Moral
Motivation
Moral motivation is the impetus to act on our
judgement, the desire to do the right thing. It is about cultivating an ethical
identity which values courtesy, honour, generosity and fairness. Without these
qualities, judgement lacks motivational force and will seldom result in action.
Moral
Sensitivity
Moral
sensitivity is the ability to discern that an issue is moral in the first place
and recognise how it might be interpreted by different participants. It
involves a number of skills including the ability to connect to others and
understand their perspectives. Communication (both speaking and listening) is a
key skill of moral sensitivity, as is the ability to recognise and control
one’s own social bias.
Moral Judgement
Moral
judgement is the act of determining a proper course of action in a moral
situation. This is the component that we are most familiar with. It requires
skilled reasoning and the ability to identify and employ different judgement
criteria. It also requires the ability to predict and evaluate the possible
outcomes of our actions to plan our behaviour.
Moral Action
Moral action is employing the skills to carry out the
solution. Skills of moral action include the ability to negotiate, to solve
interpersonal problems, to take initiative for action, and to show courage to
persevere in the face of obstacles.
The model works off the basis that each
player is inherently good. This is a broad, sweeping and, some may even argue,
false assumption, but data collected by developers have proven, at least
statistically, that it is correct.
In an article by Stefanie Fogel Telltale Games senior director of marketing Richard Iggo
says “Some of the stats we’ve seen coming back from player decisions have
created a perception that even in dire times – and when faced with no-win
situations where each decision is morally gray – the majority of people will
try to do the ‘right’ thing if they can.”
So, according to Iggo, we see that
players have a strong sense of moral motivation. But this does not necessarily
answer the question of why players are deciding to do good by these pixelated
characters.
In my last blog post, I talked about
players using the internet, or, more specifically, online gaming, to either
re-invent themselves or express their ideal selves. Perhaps the moral aspect of
games is allowing players to exact their “ideal” selves.
According to psychologist Carl Rogers
people are made up of two aspects: the ideal self (who we want to be) and the
real self (who we actually are). If there is a difference between the two then
it can lead to two options: Someone can attempt to unify their real self with
their ideal self or turn to a form of escapism: whether it be drugs, alcohol or
in this case gaming.
These games are allowing players to
exact both scenarios. They are able to escape but also acquire the standards of
their ideal self by living vicariously through the character that they control.
And this is where all the quantitative
data is thrown out the window. You can’t measure morality. You can’t measure
choice. You can’t put right and wrong in a table. And you can’t add a
percentage to feelings.
Games are causing players to question
who their “ideal self” is, and to what extent the variance is between the ideal
and the real. Not only this, but game developers are allowing them to exercise
this notion of the ideal self and completely control the pathway that a game
character takes: essentially adopting a second life.
Often people focus on the cognitive and
reactionary skills that video games offer, or the psychological disadvantages
of gaming due to its often violent or distracting nature.
However, rarely are the psychological
positives ever mentioned. Games employing the morality model are allowing
players to learn about themselves, what they value, what they hold dear and how
far they are willing to push the ethical line towards the virtuous or towards
the evil.
I guess the jawa thief can thank his
lucky stars that my ideal self isn’t an asshole.


Your approach to the video game topic is interesting. I have never made the connection between video games and one's subconscious. Your post is interesting because you begin with a descriptive hypothetical story that draws the reader in, then you segway to the actual meat of your argument. You bring the facts and kind of translate them in an easily understandable way. I'm glad I had your post to read!
ReplyDelete