Since when did Globalization become the
devil? Progression and evolution is all of a sudden a curse and everyone seems
to think that universal culture merely eliminates indigenous culture.
It’s not cultural imperialism you
neo-liberal bigots. You all annoy me.
It’s called development.
McDonald’s is great. Everyone needs to
admit it. The spread of good fast food internationally is not the only positive
of an emerging culture. I mean there’s still Starbucks to be thankful for, with
caffeine being the sweet nectar of every nine to fiver, including the people
who criticize it.
There are a number of other positives too,
of course. One has to consider the possibility that the disappearance of
indigenous culture is a natural occurance; that the whole idea of McWorldianism
is brush out what is backward, what is no longer functional, and instead
replace bazookas and hymns with pretty lights and conveyor belts.
Unity is strength and of course sharing is
caring. Globalization increases resource availability. With more international
ties between countries and Multinational Corporations, the trading and spread
of resources has resulted in benefits for the consumer who are now able to
obtain assets that were once unique to particular countries. This is evident
even in history like China’s silk road. Their trading resulted in a strong
economy, foreign goods, international alliances and ultimately a stronger
kingdom. Now imagine the silk road on anabolic steroids and you’ll find that
not only do individual countries and their citizens benefit, but the world as a
global nation does too.
Globalization reduces poverty too. Growing
international ties are allowing companies to outsource employment granting
employment opportunities to those who suffer economically. And I’m not talking
telecom call centers with Indian employees, but also menial work, managerial
positions, factory work and other forms of labour in the production process.
Poorer countries often have ore opportunity for industrialization and the
construction of infrastructure, which in turn would also provide a number of
other employment options. After all, a low-paying job is better than full-blown
poverty
Hey guess what Globalization also does? It
makes people S-M-R-T through edumacation. Again this is a prime example of
western culture benefiting the disadvantaged. The diffusion of knowledge
reduces the gap between the haves and the have-nots. Knowledge is power as they
say. And as a nation develops, the need for specialization and educated
individuals increases which in turns results in more education facilities and
the spread of information. Being literate is great, but being able to do
something with it is even better.
Now this is the point in the argument where
the neo-liberalist psychos reinforce their idea that “ermagawd but indigenous
culturez r b3ing erased”, well ask yourself this hippy, some indigenous
cultures also condone violence and the violation os basic human rights (like
broadband internet as declared by the UN).
Globalization leads to the awareness and
protection of human rights. As a nation develops, the international crosshair
is aimed at a nation’s bullseye. This global firearm of justice and peace
causes reigning regimes to essentially falter under pressure and succumb to the
scrutiny, resulting in a rework and rethinking of backward (dare I say
indigenous hahahahahahahaaha) policies to allow basic rights and freedoms for
their citizens (no time for examples but see: China, Iraq and basically like,
all of Africa).
There are a plethora of other examples that
I can cite that reinforces the positives of Globalization including:
*Improvement of technology and
transporation
*The movement of people and capital
AAAAAND…
*Dissipation of cultural violence and
tension
You’ll also notice I did not cite or link
any other websites or blogs in this post…this is because the benefits of
Globaliztion are part of common sense… collective knowedge. It is clear to see
That we should not criticize the big mac, but rather firmly grasp it between
our fingers and take a big chunk out of the meat patty of unity.
It’s either that or be left behind.




I'll agree with you with the idea that globalization isn't totally detrimental to our society. Many people from many countries from different social classes now have access to much more information and resources about literally ANYTHING. Whether it's via the internet that they acquire information about other countries, other cultures, global news, or maybe through the different cuisines available in many cities, as well as international movies, museums and all other different sources of cultural knowledge. I do not agree with the idea that globalization from this point of view is bad, it actually provides all people with much more resources about what's going on around the world. Another aspect which I think you could have mentioned is that the presence of these multinational corporations does not erase countries' original cultures, especially if a certain country has a strong and present culture that truly prevails. They do of course, make countries more similar, and I think one of the evidences of this is the fact that MANY European cities look incredibly alike, especially in the commercial/tourist centers and streets. The busy commercial streets all have a strong presence of multinational fast food places, especially, such as BK, McDonald's, Subway and many others. But I still do not think that that affects people's cultural identity. It is not because they eat at these fast food places or watch Hollywood movies that they become less part of their nation. On the contrary, I believe it is essential for nations to provide access to different cultures to their citizens, or else our world would be full of close-minded and ignorant people.
ReplyDeleteNow, on the downside of globalization. What bothers me the most is the treatment of workers of multinational corporations. Labour exploitation is a common occurrence in underdeveloped nations where huge companies have factories and headquarters employing thousands of workers that receive pennies a day. They have absolutely no rights, and the most horrible part is that these corporations have no intention of improving workers' conditions, since their production methodology focuses on making the quickest products for the cheapest prices. It is sad to think that if one is looking to buy from companies that do not exploit workers, not many options are available.
Crap, I forgot to say I really liked your post! Hahah I love the informality and the enthusiasm but maybe you should have kinda included a counter argument, just so that you can say you questioned both sides of the equation! sorry for not posting this before :)
ReplyDeleteI agree with Anna. I commend you, River, for trying to make the argument that globalization is good. Globalization is good, but it is hard to ignore the cost to humanity. You have a point that the spread of multinational corporations provide work for the working-class, but what about the class below the working-class. They are exploited, the environment is exploited, sometime even the business, entrepreneurial-class is exploited.
ReplyDeleteYou're right in that globalization has the ability to spread peace and education. But, I think that you fail to mention the resources that are involved in globalization...the real source of the problem.
As I read this, all I could hear was your voice in my head. You definitely wrote it with your distinct style and tone which I really enjoyed since you could really feel your passion.
ReplyDeleteI thought the simplicity of your summary was good, especially for someone new to the ideas behind globalization.
I especially liked your point that maybe the disappearance of these "unique" indigenous cultures is part of the world... it can't be helped and you could maybe even call it survival of the fittest? that's what I got from your argument. i think that would've been an interesting argument if you wanted to expand more.